Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Hiking stuff and some thoughts on survivalism.

I haven't posted in ages it seems. Work has been increasingly more frantic and time consuming and keeping my eyes glued to the Presidential Election has occupied any other time I had, but I just wanted to show you some of the cool stuff I just bought.
I plan on going hiking sometime after I learn more about the local plant life so that I can so I got some cool boots, climbing gloves and a good tough belt, just because I'd rather wear something other than my beat up old Dockers belt ;)
The Boots: Altama 8" EXOSpeed boots
I looked all over for some good hiking boots that were nice and high at the ankle too keep the stickers out of my socks but couldn't find anything. Finally I looked around online and decided that you can't do much better than what our troops wear so I purchased these things on Amazon. They're good for all sorts of rugged (dry) terrain and they're up to par for ACU use.
The Gloves: Metolius 3/4 fingered Rock Climing Gloves
While I don't necessarily plan on any rock climbing per se, at least not to start with, I figure it can't hurt to keep some gloves handy just for the hell of it, plus they just looked cool. :)
The Belt: 1.75" SpecOps® "Better BDU Belt"
Again, I thought it would be good to have something army combat uniform style so through searching online I found this belt made by SpecOps that's apparently a "better" version of the BDU belt. I just think it's tough as hell and it has a heck of a hold. And I'm tired of going through belts. This thing feels like something that will last, and even though it looks a little funny, I don't think it really matters since my belt is always hidden under a shirt. As long as it works and fits and that second point is something most belts don't do for me since I'm so skinny so I'm very happy with this.
My thoughts and a note on one noteworthy point made by some survivalists:
While contemplating some realistic scenarios of hard times that survivalists prepare for, it is often said that it is unwise to look militaristic. The logic as far as I've gathered goes that if times get tough, you don't want to look militaristic to the military lest they think you're some kind of rebel that they're going to have to keep an eye on. If things really got serious you could even be locked up as a precaution. On the other hand, if you look able bodied and well prepared to people who are worse off than you it's possible that you could either have people begging you for help, or more desperate ones sticking you up for anything you've got. If you want to keep what you have, you don't go shouting about it while others have nothing.
Now, I understand that, but this is all based on the fear that we're going to turn into a Mad Max: The Road Warrior type of society. I don't rule that out, the basis of survivalism is improving your life and preparing for whatever happens, even if what happens is in fact, nothing. But let me stress that survivalism isn't solely about running around in tinfoil hats and screaming "the sky is falling," though you're free to do that if it feels right to you. But survivalism principles applied to your every day life can help you save money, do more with what you have, be self sufficient and knowledgeable in ways that can be very personally rewarding to you.
Personally I do see times getting tough. The economy is in a real bad spot and I don't think even Obama's earnest hope and desire to fix and change things for the better can get us out of it. I don't see it getting truly extreme, not Mad Max status, but even so it would be good to know enough to immunize yourself as much as possible against the economic situation, whether that's growing and preparing your own food, or picking up a beneficial skill to contribute to your community and perhaps trade services for goods or vice-versa. And even if nothing happens you'll be richer for what you learn!
I am behind in my studies and extremely busy at work, but I'm going to try to find time to read these two books that I bought on primitive skills and I'll try to do that and share some of what I learn as soon as possible, but we'll see how soon that really is.
'Till next time,
Cheers!

No comments: