Sunday, March 13, 2011

Home Gardening Update 3.13.11

I just thought I'd post a little update on the container garden I started wayyy back in November. November was too late to be starting these things so most everything didn't do very well and didn't grow much at all over the winter, but now that it's getting toward spring things are really ramping up their growth.

My broccolil and cauliflower both died except for this one tiny little broccoli plant in the middle of this pic that is hanging on to life but not growing very large at all.

The big frilly green leaves are carrots which are getting almost big enough to harvest.
On the left and in the front is lettuce but neither of those ever did well and the one on the left is bolting so I'm just going to let it.


Here's another pot full of carrots, plus some bolting salad greens of some kind in the center. I'm not sure what exactly it is because I got it from the community garden without knowing what it was.

Here we have my Bush Goliath tomatoes, which at first glance don't look very good but... when you look closer you see a ton of little tomatoes popping up all over the place!


Next up is what used to be some perpetually tiny bell pepper plants. My theory is that the container I had them in was not deep enough for their root system so they stayed tiny and feeble. They WERE alive however, until aphids infested damn-near all of my plants. I acted swiftly with a self-made non-toxic pesticide and everything else was fine after that but these guys were really badly injured, so much so that I'm not sure if they'll ever come back.

I did take one however and use it as an experiment to resuscitate it. I've got it under an overturned fish-tank which should work as a mini-greenhouse. I've given it root-growth supplement and compost and have a grow-light on top to keep it nice and warm when the sun doesn't do a good enough job of that.

It's like a baby in an incubator :'(

These are my Spanish Yellow Onions. They took a long time to do anything as well, staying small throughout the winter but now they're starting to grow. Still not near big enough to harvest though.

Over here around this broken pond I'm going to grow from left to right: Mint, Dandelion greens, strawberry, and chamomile. In this pic the seeds have been spread and watered. The power extension cable you see is for the grow light for the incubator-bell-pepper. The branch tossed on the mulched bed on the right is to keep my dog from pooing on my mulched bed.

And lastly on this side I've broken up & aerated the soil but haven't planted anything yet or even decided what to plant. Probably some kind of flowers that have an herbal medicinal use.

By the way if I didn't mention it last time, the reason I have a lot of things in containers and nothing in the ground yet is because I rent and last year I was worried about tearing up the ground of a property I don't own, but this year IDGAF. If they don't like it I'll tear it out when I move, but honestly it's going to look nice and be useful for food and herbal medicine so they shouldn't complain.

No comments: